Sterilize E-poration cuvettes ?

Tue May 23 16:11:28 EST 1995

On 23 May 1995, Andy Phillips wrote:

> seab at nucleus (Stefan Baeckstroem) wrote:
> >
> >  Hello Electroporating people.
> >
> > How do you sterilize the single-use cuvettes from Bio-rad ?
>
> I soak them in 5% bleach for about 10 minutes, rinse ten times
> in distilled water and store under ethanol. Eventually the chlorine
> will pit the electrodes and reduce efficiency of transformation, but
> the cuvettes seem to be reusable for at least ten times.
>
> Andy

A word of caution here: some disposable cuvettes will simply dissolve in
95% ethanol. So may be a 20% or so EtOH should be used if storage of
cuvettes is intended. We had a dry sterilization chamber in one of our
Prof.'s lab that used peroxide cans (?). The plastic stuff could be
sealed in special pourous bags, sterilized that way and stored for future
use.

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.