E. coli in microtiter plates

ted m tedm at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed May 24 13:20:28 EST 1995

In article <3pe2b9$1m1q at rover.ucs.ualberta.ca>, Colin Rasmussen
<crasmussen at anat.med.ualberta.ca> wrote:

What we did was dispense medium containing 20%
> glycerol into the plate, innoculated and grew them up. We couldn't
> incline them, but this approach solved the poor growth problem, and we
> could then send them straight to the -70 freezer without having to add
> glycerol to every well.
> Colin

I'm glad this worked Colin, it should be noted that even anaerobic growing
E. coli will eat glycerol. If the growth isn't too good then you shouldn't
deplete the glycerol enough to negatively effect -70° storage, but if you
manage to really aerate (via vigorous shaking/hyperbaric O2 etc) the
depletion of glycerol should be considered.
                                                         Ted Michelini