In vitro translation of truncated templates

Noam Harel harel_n at a1.mscf.upenn.edu
Wed May 24 13:08:21 EST 1995

Hello,

	I have seen some papers in which c-terminal truncations are
introduced into in vitro-translated proteins by cutting the template
DNA at various restriction sites before transcribing. I have tried
myself, but it seems like the truncated invitro-translated products
are smaller than they should be (slightly). My question is, do the
ribosomes read all the way to the end of a linearized/truncated RNA
strand? Physiologically, there is usually plenty of untranslated RNA
downstream of the stop codon. But if the DNA coding for the RNA is
truncated, does it cause problems during translation? Would anyone
with any experience in this matter please respond...?

Thanks very much
Noam