Sterilize E-poration cuvettes ?

Andy Phillips Andy.Phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri May 26 10:20:21 EST 1995

shin at biosci.cbs.umn.edu (Shin Enomoto) wrote:

> Stefan Baeckstroem (seab at nucleus) wrote:
>
> : How do you sterilize the single-use cuvettes from Bio-rad ?

> I checked for cross-contamination by using a Kan resistant E. coli
> followed immediately by washing and then transforming a Kan sensitive E.
> coli and found in most cases (5/5 that I tested) did not give me any Kan
> resistant bacteria.

In my experience the contamination problem is not from cells but from
plasmid in the cuvette. We used to clean our cuvettes by just rinsing
in water and 70% EtOH several times. Eventually we started getting
colonies derived from previous transformations. So now we clean the
cuvettes with bleach (see my last posting) and store in EtOH - this reduces
the problem but the cuvettes still don't last more than 5-10 zaps
before the background comes up and they need replacing.

Andy Phillips
IACR-Long Ashton Research Station