Help - cloning into dephosphorylated plasmid vector

Rafael Maldonado rafael at corona.med.utah.edu
Fri May 26 15:48:14 EST 1995

On 25 May 1995, Hiranya Roychowdhury wrote:

> On 25 May 1995, Aron B. Jaffe wrote:
>

> > I agree with your friend - forget dephosphorylating the ends...
> > there's no need to do that with sticky end ligations...
> >
> > aron
> >

> That is not quite correct, what you said there, Aron. In fact,
> dephosphorylation should only be left out if the vector is cut with two
> enzymes generating non-compatible ends.

That's wrong. I normally make my ligations without dephosphorilation and
they work well. I got 30% of colonies with insert, and when you have some
kind of screening/selection, who cares about dephos? Or, in 10 minipreps
you can have three insert clones.

I only dephos when I need extremely efficient ligations (>90%), i.e.,
libraries, very long inserts, etc.

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             |  "y es que...
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |   habemos gente pa to'"
Department of Human Genetics		     |
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |     Joselito "El Gallo"
Rafael at genetics.med.utah.edu                 |
Rafael at corona.med.utah.edu	             |
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |