HELP! Genomic DNA not cutting!

Ron Caspi rcaspi at ucsd.edu
Fri May 26 16:43:37 EST 1995

In article <S.Rowland-1505952146120001 at 130.216.55.41>,
S.Rowland at auckland.ac.nz says...

galinm01 at mcrcr6.med.nyu.edu wrote
>:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Seeking suggestions on "how to" "clean-up"  genomic DNA that
>> refuses to digest with restriction enzymes.

... how to fix this problem by dialysis.

Well, I have had similar problem with a specific strain of bacteria, and in that
case, dialysis did NOT help! I beleieve that I had a problem with
polysaccharides or carbohydrates that would not separate even during
dialysis. What I found to work great, are the new columns of Qiagen,which
remove polysaccharides. What used to take 300 ml of culture and 15(!)
phenol-chloroform extractions, followed by dialysis, is now accomplished with
5 ml in less than one day (not including resuspension of DNA) and the DNA is
cleaner.
I do not own Qiagen (unfortunately) or associated with them by any means.

Hope it helps

--
Ron Caspi
Scripps Institution of Oceanography