Use of RAPD for somaclonal variation...

BANANA & PLANTAIN N.C.Pancholi at reading.ac.uk
Fri May 26 15:23:33 EST 1995

Hello Netters,

I used RAPD for the detection of somaclonal variation in in vitro grown
banana plants.  I compared plants grown in solid medium (i.e., solidified
with Gelrite) or liquid medium.  Also, I tested 2 different cytokinins.
The objective was to find the variation generated by different system
and the degree of variation, if there is any.

Surprisingly, significant somaclonal variation between 2 different media
as well as cytokinins was observed.

I found varied band intensity among variant samples, apart from extra or
missing bands.  My question is whether this change in band intensity
(which was reproducible, so at least it is not because of RAPD parameters)
is really associated with the presence of somaclonal variation?  If so,
then what is the possible explanation?  One in my mind is that this
indicates an alteration in the copy number of gene involved.

Has anybody observed similar phenomena? Any pointer in this direction
will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to:
bionet.molbio.rapd
bionet.plants
bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts

      NARESH PANCHOLI
      AGRICULTURAL BOTANY            PHONE: +44 1734 875123 EXT. 4087
      SCHOOL OF PLANT SCIENCES       FAX:   +44 1734 316577
      THE UNIVERSITY OF READING
      READING RG6 6AS
      ENGLAND                                   N.C.PANCHOLI at READING.AC.UK