dehydrating bacterial cells?

Richard_Heath heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Sun May 28 16:36:35 EST 1995

In article <120bww.5 at cosmos.wits.ac.za>, 120bww at cosmos.wits.ac.za (Bradley Workman-Davies) writes:
> Hi. I am interested in dehydrating bacterial cells tho don't have any idea
> where to start looking for info concerning it. Has anyone everdone it?
> My idea is based on freezing the cells perhaps with liquid nitrogen. anyone
> know anything about cryogenics? The problem I see with liquid nitrogen is
> that the cell contents may shatter. Anyway I am looking for a way to
> dehydrate the cells preserving them totally so that i could then rehydrate
> them and that they are fully functional.
> I haven't had any experience with this before and only had the idea in the
> bath (Eureka!!! *grin* ) last night.
> Thanx in advance.
> Please mail me directly with any info.
> 107Lisa at cosmos.wits.ac.za
> Lisa

To freeze cells with liquid N2, they need to have some glycerol or DMSO
present... freezing a liquid culture without one of these will kill all the
cells (as I know from experience!)  I have received cells from suppliers as
lyophilised discs:  how the cells are treated before the are dried, I don't
know - from a glycerol suspension perhaps?

Good luck!

Richard Heath