Retroviral gene transfer

William Meikrantz meikrant at husc7.harvard.edu
Sun May 28 10:05:38 EST 1995

We've been doing a lot of work with retroviral gene transfer systems
based on the LXSN series developed by Dusty Miller and colleagues.  The
basic strategy is to transfect (by lipofection, electroporation, CaPO4) a
plasmid containing LTRs, packaging sequence, and the gene of interest
into a packaging cell line that constituitively expresses gag, pol and
env.  (It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic
procedure.)

Our problem is, now we're trying to produce retroviral vectors that carry
genes that promote growth arrest--this creates the problem that
expression from the transfected plasmid carrying the growth
arrest/cytotoxic gene will halt growth of the packaging cell and thereby
stop production of virus.

We're beginning to work on putting the growth arrest/cytotoxic genes
under control of a promoter that will not be expressed in the packaging
cells, but I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience in
dealing with this problem before, and maybe has come up with a solution
that we've overlooked...

Thanks!

Bill Meikrantz
Molecular and Cellular Toxicology