How to decontaminate a DNA-contaminate pipettor?

Charles Murry murry at u.washington.edu
Mon May 29 03:16:16 EST 1995

My personal opinion is that the savings on pipette tips is very small,
compared to the cost of repeated experiments.  Human effort is a costly
resource (especially if it's mine!).  A barrier tip should also keep a
contaminated pipette from contaminating a reaction.  My group does lots
of PCR, and we do not do any stage of the preparation with routine tips.
I don't think you can always keep track of what is or is not likely to be
an unsafe transfer, so you need to use universal precautions.

Chuck Murry
Department of Pathology
University of Washington
Seattle