Marfan Syndrome mutation analysis ?

Peter Van Osta pvanosta at
Mon May 29 11:22:16 EST 1995

I am starting with the mutation analysis of our pool of Marfan patients, is
there anybody reading this who is also working on mutation sreening of this
disease ?

I am using exon-flanking intron primers for PCR amplification of the (65)
exons of the FBN gene on genomic DNA, so I am not working on cDNA.

For the mutation-screening I intend to use Hydrolink MDE-gels for
heteroduplex analysis, is there anyone who has used these gels for this gene ?
What are the best conditions using this gel type (or another) to improve the
detection rate in the fibrillin-gene ?
Is it necessary to use cooling for the gels, or is room temperature
and low-power conditions sufficient for not disturbing the heterduplexes?

What is a good way for optimizing the formation of heteroduplexes ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Centrum Medische Genetica
Universitair Ziekenhuis Gent (UZG) - 0 K 5
De Pintelaan 185
B-9000 Gent

email: pvanosta at
tel. +32-9-240 36 03