Plasmid Drawing Programs for PCs?

Jack M. Bernstein, M.D. bernstein at wsu-id.dayton.oh.us
Wed Nov 1 14:24:26 EST 1995

Rob Robson <sksrobsn at reading.ac.uk> wrote:

>Anybody know of a good drawiung package for drawing and labelling plasmids that can be used with IBM PC clones?

The best program we have seen (and used) is called "Clone Manager for
Windows", V 4.0, from Scientific and Educational Software (sorry, no
address). Not sure about the current commercial cost, but it is
probably several hundred $, but worth it. The following is a blurb
extracted from their Help File -

Program Overview

The Clone Manager Program has been designed as a daily-use computer
tool for the molecular biologist -- it understands basepair positions,
enzymes, and sticky ends.  It specializes in manipulating recombinant
DNA molecules using enzymes, in much the same way you construct clones
in the laboratory.

Clone Manager will find restriction enzyme sites, cut molecules,
modify ends, and ligate DNA.  Through all of these operations, Clone
will track your features and enzyme sites and automatically renumber
positions in the new molecules.

Graphic maps are drawn quickly and accurately and high-resolution maps
can be sent to your printer.  You can also copy/paste a graphic map
through the Windows clipboard to your word processor or export as a
Windows Metafile.

Use Clone Manager as a quick and easy way to view or edit sequence
files, find open reading frames, translate genes, or perform string
searches within sequence files.  While in the sequence editor module,
select the format for the sequence display and print sequences in the
format selected (single strand, double strand, translated).  Molecule
features are stored in a features table and notes and descriptive
information are saved as a part of the molecule file.

A very fast and powerful restriction enzyme analysis module will help
you to find enzymes to do needed operations.  More than 500 enzymes
are recognized by the program, but smaller, user-defined lists can be
easily constructed and used to prepare restriction map data.  You can
also create transient enzyme lists, specifying recognition element
size and sticky ends needed.

View the resulting data in five different formats (list of sites, map
of sites, fragment sizes, gel view of fragments, list of no-cutters).
Filter the data to limit the display to only those enzymes of interest
in the current application.