Tet inducible expression

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Wed Nov 1 10:35:13 EST 1995

In article <46nifu$3f5 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk says...

[SNIP - to save space]
[Repression in tet transactivator system is cell-type dependent]
[Failure to generate stable cell lines based on this system]

>Please anyone let me know if the have similar problems, any solutions
>with this system.
>Cheers
>Graham

Since the authors managed to generate transgenic animals based on this
system I assume that stable cells are a possibility

Furth et al. PNAS 91, 9302-9306 (1994)

I think maybe what you are after is the modified system described recently

Shockett et al. PNAS 92, 6522-6526 (1995)

The authors show that the tTA transactivator is toxic so they put the
expression under control of an autoregulatory loop.  Although not
perfect it seems to be a better bet than the original when it comes
to cell lines and transgenic mice.

On a similar note, is anyone trying mouse lines based on the Lac Switch
system (Stratagene)?  I was hoping that someone might generate mice with
promiscuous LacI expression so that they could be used to generate
switched mouse lines upon introduction of the appropriate constructs.
I realise that the in vivo pharmacokinetics of IPTG are not the best
(half life of 30 min) but it should be ideal for transient induction.

		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.