Cloning very large inserts - help

Michael Myers myersm at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Wed Nov 1 11:37:20 EST 1995

I'm having trouble cloning some large inserts into an 8 kb vector
(Casper). I recently got a vector from Invitrogen and noticed that they
provide a bacterial strain called "TOP10". Among other things, it includes
a mutation called deo[R], which supposedly enhances plasmid
transformation, particularly large constructs.

Has anyone had experience with TOP10 or the deo[R] mutation? Or, any
advice on cloning large inserts? It may be vector specific, since I have
had no trouble cloning fragments as large as 25kb in pBluescript and pGEM.

Michael Myers
Laboratory of Genetics
The Rockefeller University
212-327-8233  (-7420 fax)