Anyone used 'Silver Sequence'?

Sasha Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 1 12:25:45 EST 1995

Bill,
I tried it only out of curiosity at the time when it was just introduced
and one could get a free sample. I think that it has a certain, although
limited, use. It is based on a mega-version of cycle sequencing and
indeed generates about 10-fold more sequencing products, than a typical
radioactive experiment. I ran a T7 sequencing sequencing experiment on
the same gel and could barely see the bands... However, the sequencing
kit and the staining module can be used separately for other purposes,
so if you are limited in the use of radioactivity, you have a viable
alternative, but will have to spend somewhat more on DNA purification.
On the other hand, I had great success using this kit with DIG primers (
Promega sells the sequencing kit and staining kit separately ) and
associated chemistry of membrane staining. This latter one can compete
with radioactive sequencing in versatility and sensitivity, but you will
have to invest in a drum roller oven and a DBE apparatus to get
comparable results.. ( quite some money but still much less than a
fluorescent sequencer ).
Hope this helps,

Alexander Kraev, PhD                     Internet:    kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch