Alu I digestion of mouse genomic DNA

CK Wen cwen at aux.btny.purdue.edu
Thu Nov 2 08:12:20 EST 1995

I have recently digested mouse DNA with a range of restriction
enzymes which I hope to use in my resaearch. Most seem to digest
the DNA to smears after 3 hoours, whilst others require longer.
Alu I however increases the size of the genomic DNA and doesn't
seem to digest the DNA at all. The uncut genomic DNA runs on agarose
at about 23 Kbp, the AluI digests, even after only 1 hours digestion
increase the effective size such that the DNA does not leave the wells?
Can anybody help to explain this?
Thanks for your time
Gareth
Are you sure your AluI is good?  Did you tried a positive control which
you use the same AluI to digest a plasmid DNA, for example?

Chi-Kuang