Designing PCR primers

Anderas Becker becker at ps1515.chemie.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 2 05:18:45 EST 1995

In article <476cgt$oiu at ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>, tlpalmer at acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca (Taunja Lee Palmer-Stone) says:

>Is there a Mac freeware/shareware programme for designing PCR primers?
>(and if there is where can I find it).

Primer design software for mac, dos, unix can be downloaded from my home page.
We even developed a program for this purpose, but it is for Dos. May be we will
compile it for Mac, too. But first we have to buy a mac compiler.

A lot of shareware or freeware for this purpose can be downloaded from our home pages:

http://www.chemie.uni-marburg.de/~becker

  I have two sequences that I would
>like to use as primers in a bacteria which favours G/C in its codon
>usage.  Since I am using two consensus sequences I am somewhat limited in
>my choice of primer sequences.  I know people who have had mixed
>experiences with designing PCR primers.  Some didn't check
>their primers and later couldn't get their PCR to work because the two
>primers didn't anneal at the same temperature.  Others didn't check and
>got good results (different primers of course).  Which scenario is the
>most prevalent?  I would like to check my proposed primers before I get
>them synthesized.  Any PCR gurus out there with advice/comments?  Also,
>are there any pitfalls to using I in PCR primers?

Of course there are pitfalls. You shoukd read a manual about primer design.
Some online manuals can be found on our pages too. Read the FAQs of this newsgroup, too.

Andreas
Andreas Becker
Arbeitskreis Prof. Kadenbach, FB Chemie/Biochemie, Hans-
Meerwein-Strasse, Philipps-Universitaet, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Phone: privat +49 6421 47304  Labor +49 6421 28 -5721 Fax -2191
eMail: BECKER at ps1515.Chemie.Uni-Marburg.De
WWW  : http://www.chemie.uni-marburg.de/~becker