Help needed on SV40 poly-A

Ritva Ylikärppä ylikarpp at lbiok-1.oulu.fi
Thu Nov 2 05:11:48 EST 1995

Dear netters,

I’m trying to build up a construct to be used in preparing trangenic mice.
This construct includes endogenous promoter, cDNA and heterologous
polyadenylation signal. The polyadenylation signal is originally from SV40
genome (bases 2533-2729) and for my cloning purposes I derived it from
pNASSbeta-expression vector (Pharmacia) as a BamHI.insert. My question is: is
it possible to use this insert in both directions. In other words: can both
strands be used as templates in transcription termination. As far as I know
both strands of the SV40 genome are transcribed and there is a polyadenylation
consensus sequence in both strands of the SV40 polyA area.
Thanks in advance!