Need killer gene

Mr. I.S. Viney iviney at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 04:04:29 EST 1995

On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, jim hartley wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a gene deadly to most E. coli cloning strains, that
> can be propagated in a particular mutant?  ccdB would be great, but I
> can't get the gyrA462 mutant because of patents.  Streptomycin
> sensitivity is OK if it kills completely enough, but I'd rather avoid the
> necessity of including strep in all my plates.
> Thanks.

If I remember phage Mu has a kil gene which may be cloned as a EcoRI
fragment and may be propagated in a host already containing Mu?

A restriction-modification system might be good to use, the restriction
endonuclease gene being fatal to cells whose DNA was not appropriately
modified.

What about Colicin from ColE1?

These are all ideas used in the past for cloning vectors.>

Hope these (vague) ideas were of interest.

Ian Viney
Imperial College
London