beta shield sources

Mayumi Yagi myagi at u.washington.edu
Thu Nov 2 16:45:31 EST 1995

Nicholas,
Is it possible that you are using a lead-impregnated plexiglas shield?
We have a couple on hand in our lab for 125I work, as well as "normal"
plexiglas for 32P.  You can't use the lead ones for 32P work--they will
generate Brehmstrallung radiation, as you seem to be seeing.  The lead
ones are slightly more yellow than the non-lead guys (they look more
"aged", presumably due to the lead).  The regular ones damp down 32P
effectively (though if you're looking at high levels, not completely).

Mayumi