Restriction Enzymes for AA sequence database ?

Morrison Lab fergusb at microbio.lifesci.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 2 21:05:42 EST 1995

Hello Netters,

Can anybody help me with  a problem. I have recently been trying to find
some suitable restriction enzymes to cut a hole in an amino acid sequence
, specifically DDKEL i.e. asp-asp-lys-glu-leu. You would imagine that this
is the sort of thing that a computer would be very good at and could do
easily.
I thought so too but could not find a program to do it and nor can New
England Biolabs or Boehringer Mannheim - they both said "yes, that would
be a good idea, wouldn't it ?" but couldn't help.
I am currently typing all possible DNA sequences that code for these AAs
into the Mac and searching through each one but this, as you might
imagine, is a real pain in the ass, and I would like to do this quite a
lot without driving myself demented.

Anybody out there know of something suitable that might help.

Any replies VERY gratefullry received by mail/phone/letter/FAX

Thanks,

Fergus Byrne

Molecular Biology Institute,
UCLA,