BMB's Rapid DNA ligation kit

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Thu Nov 2 20:15:19 EST 1995

In article <47b6fl$ef3 at nntp3.u.washington.edu>,
Gamal E. Osman, Ph.D. <gamal at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Let me describe all I know about BMB's Rapid DNA ligation kit:
[ ... ]
>time factor. If the time factor is important to you then you should
>consider using this kit because it is the only kit that allows you to
>finish your ligation experiment in 5-10 minutes

If you look at the NEB catalogue, you'll note that they show essentially
complete ligation of lambda Hind III cut with their ligase in 10 minutes
- the first time point they show- using just 1 unit of their ligase
(remember that 1 ul is 400 units for this ligase). Using NEB's ligase I
usually do 1/2 - 1 hour ligations, but I have done much shorter ligations
successfully.  You certainly don't have to do overnight ligations.

I assumed that the BMB ligase kit was actually not all that much
different than standard stuff, just advertised a little differently.  The
one time I did use it, any time savings was more than offset by the
mixing and diluting and so forth involved (I can't remember what was
involved, just a general sense of irritation).  And, as I say, I doubt
there is a significant saving in time.

If you want a fast ligation, the first thing I'd do is just try your
standard ligase in that period.  There's a pretty good chance it'll work

Ian
--
Ian York  (iayork at panix.com)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627