Tetracycline inducible expression

Paul Wakenight pw at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 2 19:12:47 EST 1995

Actually, this system can be used to repress or induce, depending on
whether you add or subtract tet.  Also, there are constructs with the
vp-16 domain attached, so its activity is reversed.  The concept of
inducibility is problematic.  If the background is zero - it follows
that even the slightest expression can be called infinately inducible.

Also,  my impression is that the main difference between 5x and 1000x
induced systems is the reduction in background - if you look at the
absolute level of expression it is similar.  My conclusion is from
3-4 papers and not comprehensive.  If someone can correct me, please do.

pw at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu