Non-isotopic southerns

Eric C. Anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Fri Nov 3 13:49:03 EST 1995

In article <47d9h9$8u7 at masala.cc.uh.edu>, benedik at uh.edu (benedik at uh.edu) wrote:

> Any experience out there using non-isotopic kits for genomic southerns
> (bacteria and yeast genomes). A few years ago they weren't that great,
> but have they gotten better in terms of sensitivity, cost, background.
> Any and all comments would be appreciated.

in the past i've used the Boehringer Mannheim Genius kit with excellent
results.  if you happen to have a freezer program and you factor in the
cost of radioactive waste disposal (no to mention peace of mind), the cost
factor is more or less a push.  people in my old lab have used the Tropix
Southern Light kit with very nice (but expensive) results.  however, Paul
Hengen recently posted his experience with an undocumented change in the
kit that makes it not work so well.  (by undocumented i mean that they
don't say anything about it in the protocol and call it exactly the same
thing, but if you call and ask they'll tell you that something is
different from the first round of kits)

good luck,

eric

--