RAPDs ups and downs

Diana Sammataro dsammata at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Fri Nov 3 10:19:33 EST 1995

After working with RAPDs and mites (which have so little DNA I cannot quantify)
I have finally found a few interesting items.
     1. I have now three protocols that work for bees, blood and mites, if
anyone is interested, contact me.
     2. I have found that spurious banding patterns will go away if the
annealing temperatures are raised from 37 to 40 or higher.
     3. I am still having trouble extracting DNA from these mites.  Can anyone
give me suggestions? I have tried the Phenol/chloroform, salt, and KoAC for
Drosophila. All work except the former.  Bee DNA cleans up  nicely with
dialysis but I loose too much mite DNA.

Thanks in adavance

Diana Sammataro, Ph.D. (now)
Dept. Entomology