measure enzyme or RNA in bacteria?

Koen De Smet kds30
Fri Nov 3 08:06:29 EST 1995

I plan to monitor the activity/level of a number of enzymes
and their end products in mycobacteria under different growth
and stress conditions. What would be the best way? Should I go
for enzyme activities, protein levels (Western blots) or RNA
levels (Northern blots or RNAse protection assays)?

Some people have told me that all three options would
basically give the same results, because control of expression
levels is the main regulatory mechanism in bacteria, but other
people have told me that this isn't always true.

Thanks beforehand for any advise or comments.

Koen