RNA STABILITY

hjs hjs at renal.wh.su.edu.au
Sun Nov 5 00:34:14 EST 1995

HI

The department I am joining has tissue samples that have been frozen
away for years and they want me to do RT-PCR on the samples. The
samples were not taken originally for molecular biology and so have
been placed in non sterile clean tubes (not autoclaved though) and were
flash frozen in liq N2 and stored at -20 and -80. Does anyone out there
know how long samples can be kept frozen before analysis. Will the RNA
have degraded?
I was planning on adding the guanadinium as the samples were thawing
and homogenize them on thawing.

Any advice or papers you know that may help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Heather Medbury

Australia
email hjs at renal.wh.su.edu.au