DNA extraction of 140 kb piece from agarose

zinc zinc at zifi.genetics.utah.edu
Sat Nov 4 18:26:07 EST 1995

In article <DHJDrs.4n9 at freenet.carleton.ca>,
Christina Chan <bm335 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:
>I have been having difficulty in isolating a 140 kb piece of DNA
>from a TBE agarose (1% SeaKem GTG) plug.  The plug contains
>~500 ng of DNA.  I have tried the Gene Clean II kit but was un-
>successful.

well, i'm going to assume you made a typo and meant 140 bp not
kb... obviously, the gene clean procedur would just sheer the heck out
of a 140 Kb piece of DNA.

i have successfully used agarase to get DNA that is shorter than 200
bp (the lower limit for a gene clean type approach).  additionally,
just crushing the agarose up and putting it through a spin-X column
works but not as well.

-pjf

patrick finerty = zinc at zifi.genetics.utah.edu = pfinerty at nyx.cs.du.edu
U of Utah biochem grad student in the Bass lab - zinc fingers + dsRNA!
** FINGER zinc-pgp at zifi.genetics.utah.edu for pgp public key - CRYPTO!
zifi runs LINUX 1.2.11 -=-=-=WEB=-=-=->  http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu