Aurintricarboxylic Acid/RNA

Thomas Newman 22313tcn at
Mon Nov 6 09:29:45 EST 1995

In article <47k9eo$eeb at>, Luis Destefano Beltran
<Luis_Destefano at> wrote:

> Dear netters:
> I am isolating total RNA from apple fruits. The extraction buffer
> includes Aurintricarboxylic Acid (ATA). The final total RNA pellet is
> pink. The red book says that this is normal since ATA binds RNA (?). I
> am planning to go on with mRNA isolation and subsequently with cDNA
> library construction My question is: will ATA affect these two steps, if
> yes, how? and what can I do to prevent it? Please answer to
> Luis_Destefano at
> Thanks in advance for your help
> Luis Destefano

Dear Luis,

  The ATA in your RNA prep will interfer with the synthesis of your cDNA.
RNA isolations with ATA are fine for northern analysis, but should not be
used for in vitro cDNA or protein synthesis.  Guanidinium based isolations
should work fine for cDNA synthesis.  Hope this helps,

Tom Newman