Cleaning metal forceps and spatulas of DNA???

Harry Witchel Harry.Witchel at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Nov 6 11:08:13 EST 1995

Hello contamination combatants!
	I am doing a lot of PCR which requires absolutely no contamination
from one prep to the next, and also I am doing library screening.  To
eliminate contaminating DNAs (especially from different species) I use as much
disposible plastic-ware as possible, I acid wash (fresh 1:10 HCl overnight)
glass, but there are some things (metal spatulas and ceramic mortar and
pestles, as well as the metal/teflon pestle from a dounce homogenizer) which
cannot be thrown away nor can they be acid washed.
	Can metal be decontaminated by boiling in water for 20 minutes?  I
have used a product called DNA Away, but it is very expensive.  What are the
other alternatives?
	Thanks again,
	Harry