Qiaquick Gel Kit

Richard Friedman friedmrd at post.drexel.edu
Thu Nov 2 16:16:38 EST 1995

In article <ChunLin_Lu-2310951908210001 at soprano.cellbio.duke.edu>,
ChunLin_Lu at cellbio.duke.edu (C.L.L.) wrote:

> > > Has anyone had any experience with this kit? How does it work compared to
> > > just doing a phenol/chloroform extraction??
> >
> > andy,
> >
> > it works very well in my hands.  it's quick, easy, painless and if you can
> > afford it, go for it.  i've gotten better yields with it than with the
> > Qiaex or Glassmilk protocols.

I've tried 3 methods of recovering DNA from gel block
1. GeneClean - in my hands it works well up to 10 kbp. I tried their spin
column 1x and didn't have much luck. Probably need to try it again when I
have the time.

2. Supelco spin column - Very nice, put block in pre-equilibrate column,
spin 10 min. Your DNA awaits. However, it's in TBE or TAE. Some downstream
apps can live with this.

3. Qiaquick - tried it 5x and have been happy with the results. However,
the 10 kbp upper limit is a problem. I was told you can use 10 mM Tris-Cl
pH 8.0 - 8.5 @ 50°C and get some bigger frags off but I can't confirm as
of yet.

Supelco and Qiaquick gave me similar recoveries, but Qiaquick is in a
solution more downstream app friendly.

As for the old PCI method, LOSE IT if at all possible.

--
-Rich
Friedmrd at post.drexel.edu or rfriedma at astro.temple.edu