Cleaning metal forceps and spatulas of DNA???

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Mon Nov 6 22:42:12 EST 1995

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Harry Witchel wrote:

> Hello contamination combatants!
> 	I am doing a lot of PCR which requires absolutely no contamination
> from one prep to the next, and also I am doing library screening.  To
> eliminate contaminating DNAs (especially from different species) I use as much
> disposible plastic-ware as possible, I acid wash (fresh 1:10 HCl overnight)
> glass, but there are some things (metal spatulas and ceramic mortar and
> pestles, as well as the metal/teflon pestle from a dounce homogenizer) which
> cannot be thrown away nor can they be acid washed.

Autoclave them. I never got contamination from an autoclaved scalpel.
(i.e. 121 C, 20 min). Also, glassware and some plasticware are autoclavable,
and you won't need that nasty acid stuff.

	Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             |  La cita ha sido
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |
Department of Human Genetics		     |  retirada por respeto
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  a la propiedad
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  intelectual.
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |