Aurintricarboxylic Acid/RNA

pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Tue Nov 7 11:05:02 EST 1995

In <47k9eo$eeb at newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, Luis Destefano Beltran <Luis_Destefano at cornell.edu> writes:
>Dear netters:
>
>I am isolating total RNA from apple fruits. The extraction buffer
>includes Aurintricarboxylic Acid (ATA). The final total RNA pellet is
>pink. The red book says that this is normal since ATA binds RNA (?). I
>am planning to go on with mRNA isolation and subsequently with cDNA
>library construction My question is: will ATA affect these two steps, if
>yes, how? and what can I do to prevent it? Please answer to
>Luis_Destefano at cornell.edu
>Thanks in advance for your help

ATA will inhibit most enzymes that bind to nucleic acids; that's why its so effective as a nuclease inhibitor. It doesn't bind to RNA (they are both anions), but it does precipitate with RNA -- i.e., its solubility properties are similar. The classsical way to remove it is to pass the RNA over a small column of Sephadex (say, G-25) in sterile TE buffer. I've done this a few times and it didn't give complete separation, so I'd recommend a column with a 10-20:1 height:diameter ratio (say, 5 cm x 0.25cm).

|  Dr. Peter Gegenheimer         | voice: 913-864-3939    FAX:913-864-5321  |
|  Departments of Biochemistry   | pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu                |
|    and of Botany               | URL: gopher://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu:70  |
| University of Kansas           | "When you have excluded the impossible,  |
| 2045 Haworth Hall              |  whatever remains, however improbable,   |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106       |  must be the truth."    Sherlock Holmes  |