Charged vs. uncharged nylon membranes?

ssilverstone at csubak.edu ssilverstone at csubak.edu
Tue Nov 7 09:21:42 EST 1995

A question:
I'm dot-blotting total bacterial nucleic acids then probing with DNA
probes complementary to the 16S rRNA. The protocol I'm looking at
specifies uncharged nylon membranes, but the Amersham literature says that
their Hybond N+ is the best membrane for RNA blotting (positively charged
nylon). Does anybody know why charged or uncharged nylon might be
preferred for probing RNA dot-blots with DNA probes?  I am planning to
label the probes using the Amersham ECL kit.-Sara