RNA isolation from gloms.

Alexander Tzanidis alex at alfred.med.monash.edu.au
Wed Nov 8 20:39:41 EST 1995

The problem I am faced with is how to isolate total RNA from isolated rat
glomeruli.
As a standard protocol, we routinely use the Cesium Chloride gradient
technique to isolate total RNA from whole rat kidneys.  However, when
applying the same technique to isolated glomeruli (isolated by seiving;
approx. 1000 - 5000 gloms/rat), I am unsuccessful.
The glomeruli, once isolated, are resuspended in 1ml of 5M GTC (without 2-
ME) and stored at -80oC.
Could the Chromczynski method (acidified phenol) be applied even though I
have used 5M GTC rather than 4M GTC/SDS/2-ME?

Thank you

Alex

Department of Medicine
Monash Medical School