Better denaturant than SDS?

pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Wed Nov 8 17:24:42 EST 1995

>In article <47nqqr$qh5 at athena.ulaval.ca>, chrisbel at eukaryotaB says...
>>
>>Hi netters,
>>
>>I want to stop enzymatic reaction without using heat.  I work under in situ
>>condition with raw material.  Heating extract a lot of unwanted stuff.  I
>>used SDS as denaturing agent but it's a bit too foamy.  Any suggestion on
>>better denaturing agent?  Any other idea on stopping enzymatic reaction
>>under in situ conditions with raw material?

Classical methods to stop enzyme reactions are with 10% TCA or ca 10%-20% formic acid. This will insantly stop almost all reactions. The proteins will be pptd and the products, IF they are low-ml wt, will be soluble. Be sure the reactants are stable to acid. Acetone or other water-miscible solvents may work, too.
(If you're trying to synthesize tannins or such this won't work).

|  Dr. Peter Gegenheimer         | voice: 913-864-3939    FAX:913-864-5321  |
|  Departments of Biochemistry   | pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu                |
|    and of Botany               | URL: gopher://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu:70  |
| University of Kansas           | "When you have excluded the impossible,  |
| 2045 Haworth Hall              |  whatever remains, however improbable,   |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106       |  must be the truth."    Sherlock Holmes  |