single-stranded vs. double-stranded DNA

Regina Shaw regina at biotech.ufl.edu
Wed Nov 8 17:36:39 EST 1995

Hi -
I have started to do some asymmetric PCR on double-stranded DNA fragments
of known size (after restriction digest and gel purification). Since I do
not have much experience with single-stranded DNA, my question is: When I
run my (putatively) single-stranded PCR product on a TBE agarose gel next
to the double-stranded template, will single-stranded DNA run slower than
its double-stranded counterpart? Or perhaps is there a better way to
distinguish between the two?
Thank you all very much for your help!
Regina
Recombinant Protein Expression Core