Agarose gel electroforesis buffer

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Wed Nov 8 15:03:01 EST 1995

Yap Yun Kiam wrote:

: We have been using Tris-Acetate-EDTA (TAE) buffer for
: occured in which our 1kb DNA marker bands either appeared as smear ( as
: if degraded) or there are a lot of stray bands. First, we check the 1kb
: marker and found that it is okay (let another lab try it). We tried to
: trace out the culprit, and finally we change all the TAE buffer (TAE is
: prepared in 10x stock and diluted before used). we suspect something went
: wrong with the buffer but we can't tell what went wrong. Recently, this
: problem re-occured, the 10x TAE buffer is not a newly prepared one, half
: of it has been used without any problem. We thought that it could be the
: deionize water that is used to dilute the 10xTAE, so we change all the
: deionize water in the lab and collect some fresh one (from the same
: deionize machine) but the problem still persist.
:
: Can someone suggest what the culprit is? How it can be solved?

Does the buffer glow blue under UV? If so, read this article for the
answer, then make up a fresh batch of concentrated buffer in a clean
bottle and test it again. You probably have a microorganism growing
in your 10x buffer.

@article{Hengen1994Dectibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Glowing blue gels and nuked nucleases",
volume = "19",
number = "12",
pages = "556-557",
month = "dec",