Need fast mini-prep protocols

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Wed Nov 8 15:10:10 EST 1995

Rui Lu wrote:

| Now I have a large number of colonies to screen for insert.
| Does anyone know any fast mini-prep procedures to yield enough,
| cut- able plasmid DNA?

To screen many colonies (more than 100), keep them as separate clones,
but mix 10-20 cultures together for mini-preping. Screen the pools of
DNA as 1-10, 11-20, 12-30, etc. by the alkaline lysis technique. Then
look to see which pool has the insert to narrow it down to 10 clones.
It takes an extra gel, but it saves you 80 mini-preps, which would take
much longer to do.