Patents-Taq and EST's, what's the latest?

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Mon Nov 6 12:36:43 EST 1995

In Article <glarson-011195112143 at 151.112.27.59>, glarson at ccmail.llu.edu
(Garry P. Larson) wrote:
>I was wondering about a couple of things?
>1.      How big (in $$) is the market share for Taq?-Of course this counts
>Roche's patent on the standard Taq enzyme and 'other' unidentified and
>perhaps related enzymes to be discovered one day in the future.

Who knows? It must be HUGE!

>AND
>
>1.      What is the latest info on the battle to patent EST's?  What is the
>current Patent and Trademark Office's position of the situation?  Has NIH
>given up the effort?

The US patent office is heavily bogged down with DNA/RNA sequences right
now. Part of the problem stems from the fact that some claims include
literally thousands of sequences and/or any combination of oligonucleotide
mixtures (i.e. degenerate oligos), making the prior art searches incredibly
time consuming (estimates for some applications have been in the 56
examiner-year range!). They are considering several options, including
increasing application fees for nucleotide sequences and setting a limit of
one sequence per application. I imagine the back-log will continue to grow
rapidly for the foreseeable future.
    Tracy