cloning into Casper

S. S.
Thu Nov 9 21:57:50 EST 1995

>myersm at rockvax.rockefeller.edu

I used a vector similar to Casper, and I had very low efficiency in cloning
fragments larger than ~10 kb.  In some cases constructs rearranged.  I found
out that, the P-element flanks used in the vector were taken from its
insertion into white gene.  Since the vector contains also white gene, these
sequences (~200 and ~400bp) are repeated and may enable intramollecular
recombination, which I could observe.  I used E.coli DH5-alfa.  You may
check Casper's sequence, whether it contains direct repeats.  Slawek.