DEPC-Treating buffers etc.......

Paul_Hand_at_HRIW05 at HRI.BBSRC.AC.UK Paul_Hand_at_HRIW05 at HRI.BBSRC.AC.UK
Thu Nov 9 10:57:52 EST 1995

     > Ken Howe wrote:

     > Dear Netters,
     > What's the concensus on DEPC-treating buffers (PIPES, HEPES, Tris,
     etc) > or salt solutions (NaCl, MgSO4, MgCl2, Mn++, Zn++ etc) vs
     filter
     > sterilization vs autoclaving for removal of RNases?  Can I treat
     > previously made solutions, or do I need to make them in DEPC-treated
     > water over again?

     > Eric Anderson replied -

     > one thing to keep in mind is that you can't treat any buffer with a
     > free amino group (i.e. Tris) with DEPC...best thing that you can do
     > is sterile filter or autoclave and hope for the best.

     It's also not a good idea to autoclave buffers like Tris: we prepare
     stocks of DEPC-treated water and use them to make up Tris and other
     solutions for RNA work. Part of the treatment is an autoclaving step
     anyway. If you're really paranoid you can filter sterilise the final
     solutions, but we normally don't and have had no problems so far. I
     suspect that RNases would pass through a 0.2 micron filter anyway, but
     it would keep the bugs out.

     An important point about DEPC treatment of water is to stir thoroughly
     after autoclaving to drive off residual ethanol. We normally stir
     vigorously for at least 2 hours on a magnetic stirrer.

     Paul Hand                         Horticulture Research International
     Handp at bbsrc.ac.uk