DEPC-treating buffers, salt solutions vs filtering

Eric C. Anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Thu Nov 9 08:44:09 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951108155942.2870A-100000 at darwin.UCSC.EDU>,
howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU (Ken Howe) wrote:

> Dear Netters,
> What's the concensus on DEPC-treating buffers (PIPES, HEPES, Tris, etc)
> or salt solutions (NaCl, MgSO4, MgCl2, Mn++, Zn++ etc) vs filter
> sterilization vs autoclaving for removal of RNases?  Can I treat
> previously made solutions, or do I need to make them in DEPC-treated
> water over again?

one thing to keep in mind is that you can't treat any buffer with a free
amino group (i.e. Tris) with DEPC...best thing that you can do is sterile
filter or autoclave and hope for the best.

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson
Cell Biology and Genetics