DEPC-treating buffers, salt solutions vs filtering

Sonya Clark szsclark at
Fri Nov 10 18:33:32 EST 1995

Eric C. Anderson (e-anderson at wrote:
: In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951108155942.2870A-100000 at darwin.UCSC.EDU>,
: howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU (Ken Howe) wrote:

: > Dear Netters,
: > What's the concensus on DEPC-treating buffers (PIPES, HEPES, Tris, etc)
: > or salt solutions (NaCl, MgSO4, MgCl2, Mn++, Zn++ etc) vs filter
: > sterilization vs autoclaving for removal of RNases?  Can I treat
: > previously made solutions, or do I need to make them in DEPC-treated
: > water over again?

Check out BioTechniques Oct 1995 Vol 19 #4, page 656.  Comparison of
Milli-Q PF plus water to DEPC-treated water in the preparation and
analysis of RNA. Huang et al.  They found that Milli-Q PF water performed
as well as DEPC-treated, autoclaved water.  Perhaps you can throw away
your DEPC forever????

Dr Sonya A. Clark
saclark at
Section of Plant Biology