Northern Transfer buffer?

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. haviland at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Sun Nov 12 00:49:00 EST 1995

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Jeffrey Upperman wrote:

> i have a simple question.  someone on our floor claims that you can use
> 1X TAE as a transfer buffer for northern blot transfer in place of 10 or
> 20X SSC.  i say no...they say yes...comments?

Jeff:

I wouldn't doubt it, however, I'd try the NaPO4 transfer solution
described in Virca et al Biotechniques 8:370-371 (1990) first.  I use
this protocol and the Altec Blotting stones and have never had any
problems.   BTW - I tried this method out of frustration with the 20XSSC
venue...

Hope this helps,
David

+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                                                         +
+                 Will clone and sequence genes for food.                 +