DEPC-treating buffers, salt solutions vs filtering

John R. Thompson jrt at intac.com
Sat Nov 11 14:21:53 EST 1995

e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org (Eric C. Anderson) wrote:

>In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951108155942.2870A-100000 at darwin.UCSC.EDU>,

>one thing to keep in mind is that you can't treat any buffer with a free
>amino group (i.e. Tris) with DEPC...best thing that you can do is sterile
>filter or autoclave and hope for the best.

Eric is correct.  However, as a green graduate student some years ago
I didn't know this and routinely used DEPC treatment to kill RNAses in
crude yeast lysates in a tris buffered system.  My control
experiements clearly showed RNAse was completely inhibited and the
treatment had no obvious delterious effects.

Regards,
John R. Thompson
Merck Research Labs