Sequencer problems

Sat Nov 11 13:58:10 EST 1995

In article <mcgorry-0911951447150001 at>,
<mcgorry at> writes:
> Path:!!!!usc!!swrinde!!!!!news.!uunet!!!!user
> From: mcgorry at (Michael Gorry)
> Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
> Subject: Sequencer problems
> Date: 9 Nov 1995 18:45:09 GMT
> Our lab is interested in purchasing either a Pharmacia Alf (new) or
> ABI 373 (used).  We constantly hear about the benefits of one
> or the other, but very little is said about the problems.  I would
> like to find out about any troubles that people who use these machines
> might have had.
> Thanks
> --
> Michael Gorry
> mcgorry at

Hi Michael,
	Here we have an ABI sequencer since 1988, and probably the most
important problem you will find with this kind of sequencers is the money, the
rest, I think is quite superior to the rest:
	-Currently, with the latest models you could run up to 48 samples at
the same time
	-The last update software and glasses (48 cm) would allow you to obtain
up to 700-750 bp (even with the "normal" glasses you obtain 500-550 daily
without problems).
	I am afraid I can't help you with Pharmacia DNA sequencers (ALF)
because I have never met anyone who uses them-
	Hoping this infomation is useful for you...