Pouring sequencing gels

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Tue Nov 14 08:55:37 EST 1995

In article <Stephen_Lasky-1311951035070001 at cis-ts1-slip14.cis.brown.edu>,
Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu (Stephen R. Lasky) wrote:

> We use an IBI sequencing apparatus with wedge spacers, siliconize both
> plates, tape the edges (twice on the bottom edge) and then pour the gel
> using a 25 ml pipette.  No expensive apparatus.  Adjust the rate of flow
> by the angle that you hold the plates, more veritical faster, more
> horizontal, slower.

We use about the same method except we siliconize only one plate and we do
that every other run (we found that if Sigmacote builds up on both plates,
the gel can begin to creep out of the top of the sandwich during the
run... really wierd!).  We also tape but we only tape the bottom once.  We
use a squeeze bottle to pour the gel and adjust the rate the same way.
For us this works well every time and is pretty cheap.

Don

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
University of Missouri-Columbia