IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Q: Klett-Unit???

Hiranya Roychowdhury hroychow at NMSU.EDU
Tue Nov 14 16:15:28 EST 1995

On 14 Nov 1995, Doerner Wolfgang wrote:

> Hi Netters,
> anyone out there who knows what a Klett-Unit is? We guess that it might be
> a unit for spectroscopical measurements, but we have not yet been able to
> find it in the respective literature! Any hints are appreciated, please
> mail to:
>                    appel at mailer.uni-marburg.de
> or via PM to the sender of this mail! Thanx a lot in advance,
> Wolfgang.

Klett unit is mesured in a specially designed flask with a slanted blind
side arm. The spectrophotometer used for this purpose is also an
old-fashioned one specially designed for reading off the Klett flask, and
is called "Klett meter' (I think). The OD may be read at varying ranges
but is normally at the 550nm for bacterial cultures and the read out is in
'Kletts'. I may be slightly off, but I think 1 Klett = 0.004 O.D.
(Absorbance/turbidity) units at the above wavelength as measured in a
regular machine. 

			  Hiranya S. Roychowdhury
   			  Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
			  Box 3GL, NM State Univ.
			  Las Cruces, NM 88003
			  Phone: (505) 646-5785
			  hroychow at nmsu.edu

More information about the Methods mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net