Source for glassmilk

bio_hannan at emuvax.emich.edu bio_hannan at emuvax.emich.edu
Tue Nov 14 23:47:15 EST 1995

In article <48b2nb$2n6 at pearl.whoi.edu>, hemant at hoh.mbl.edu (Hemant Chickarmane) writes:
> Does anybody know of a source for glassmilk, the silica slurry that is
> used for DNA purification in the presence of chaotropic salts.  A source
> other than a kit itself.  I oresume the material is silica,
> unless it happens to be finely ground glass.  If it is silica, would TLC
> grade silica gel say 50 micron size be suitable.
>
> Thanks for any information.
>

> Dr Hemant Chikarmane, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
>            email: hemant at mbl.edu	voice: (508) 289-7245
>
>       ****    Experience Fahrvergnuegen - Drive a Macintosh    ****
> --
> Dr Hemant Chikarmane, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
>            email: hemant at mbl.edu	voice: (508) 289-7245
>
>       ****    Experience Fahrvergnuegen - Drive a Macintosh    ****
Someone here a while back said that Sigma sells a silica product that is
just powdered glass that you can suspend in buffer to make glassmilk.
There is also a recipe for the whole process on the net somewhere for the
do-it-yourselfers.  I don't have the details on the product, though.  Anyone else
have it?